An edited version of this document was approved by the membership at the May 2003 meeting.
STEERING COMMITTEE EMPOWERMENT PROPOSAL
Given the dynamic nature of political and social movement, the 5th Congressional District Green Party must possess a proactive vigor and a responsive agility. Since it seems impractical to perform the bulk of this work at membership meetings, the Steering Committee respectfully requests that the membership empower it to exercise authority in three specific areas:
- Authority to Endorse Events & Organizations
- Authority to Commission & Oversee Working Groups
- Authority to Issue Public Statements
These three areas, along with accountability and revocation measures, are described below.
A. AUTHORITY TO ENDORSE EVENTS & ORGANIZATIONS
The Steering Committee seeks the authority to endorse organizations along with political, social and cultural events. The Committee will use the following criteria:
- The event or organization will be consistent with the principles and values of the Green Party.
- If the Party is asked to play a significant role, the Steering Committee will assess whether the Party has the available resources.
- The Steering Committee will consider the reciprocal benefits of an endorsement. For example, will it provide any electoral benefits or an opportunity to promote our principles and values?
- The Steering Committee will consult any existing allies.
B. AUTHORITY TO COMMISSION & OVERSEE WORKING GROUPS
The Steering Committee seeks the authority to establish and disband committees and other working groups on an as-needed basis. It also asks for the authorization to provide oversight of these bodies.
C. AUTHORITY TO ISSUE PUBLIC STATEMENTS
The Steering Committee believes the Green Party must weigh in on the politics of the day. As such, the Steering Committee seeks the authority to issue public statements on behalf of the 5th Congressional District Green Party, or appoint and oversee spokespeople to do the same.
The Steering Committee will ensure that the opinions, stances, and positions expressed will be consistent with the Principles and Values of the Green Party.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND REVOCATION
Recognizing the Green Party's key-value of decentralization – and that the membership constitutes the actual decision-making body of the Party, the authority to perform the above shall be subject to review, ratification, and revocation by the membership at the next available membership meeting.
This procedure shall be as efficient as possible, while being consistent with the Party's established decision-making process.